Saturday 5 January 2013

Global warming - it's only natural


I hope you all, my dear readers, have been enjoying our history lesson. However, I shall give it a bit of a break as I try myself as a book critic. Okay, not really a book critic... I will just explain how two guys tried to claim that humans have nothing to do with current global warming and in doing so got quite a lot of facts wrong.



So I recently started reading a book by Dennis Avery, the director of the Center for Global Food Issues at the Hudson Institute, and an atmospheric physicist Fred Singer. The book is called "Unstoppable Global Warming: Every 1,500 Years". And I think now you might start seeing why I am talking about global warming, which is none of my business really (at least in the context of this blog!). Yes, Avery and Singer are trying to convince us that the Bond Cycles are responsible for the dramatic increase in temperatures over the recent decades.


Have to be honest, I am only halfway through. Still, the idea is pretty much explained in the first chapter. The supporters of the book call the IPCC "environmental extremists", the opponents point out that Fred Singer used to receive funding from the fossil fuel industry. If you feel like joining the debate google the book's reviews - some of them are actually really amusing! I will just do the boring bit and actually explain the science behind the authors' claims.

The book states that the 1,500-year cycle in the Earth's can account for most of the global warming over the last hundred years and this cycle is linked to fluctuations in solar energy. We are currently in the warming phase, climbing out of the Little Ice Age, but in a few centuries the temperatures will be falling. Since there is nothing humans can do to modify the amount of solar radiation, we should simply accept the inevitable and live with it.

In reality Bond events did not cause the same global warming pattern observed today - they have acted to redistribute Earth's warmth through the bipolar seesaw mechanism. Ice cores from Antarctica show that equal-and-opposite cooling in the Southern Hemisphere balanced out the warming in the Northern Hemisphere during Bond events. At present, however, the evidence of dramatically rising temperatures can be seen all over the world. Here is a good video to help you understand what I am talking about:


1 comment:

  1. A very thought provoking post. I look forward to hearing if you have any changed opinions when you complete the book!

    ReplyDelete